Senior Research Fellow
Telephone: (65) 6601 5716
Anthony has some fifteen years of nuclear law experience, advising the nuclear industry and States worldwide (including those countries embarking on a nuclear power programme for the first time), the Secretariat of the International Atomic Energy Agency and the IAEA’s policy-making organs on various legal, regulatory and commercial issues in areas, including, nuclear safety, nuclear security, safeguards (non-proliferation) and nuclear liability.
For some twelve years Anthony worked in the Nuclear and Treaty Law Section of the IAEA’s Office of Legal Affairs (2002-2008 and 2010-2016). He advised on the interpretation and implementation of the nuclear law treaties adopted under the auspices of the IAEA, those under the United Nations and its Specialized Agencies, as well as relevant resolutions of the UN Security Council, such as UNSCR 1540 (2004). He also advised on the development of a number of new international legal instruments. Further, he has been extensively involved in the provision of assistance to IAEA Member States, in particular, in the drafting of national nuclear legislation in all areas. Anthony also advised on the implementation of a number special IAEA projects, including, facilitating the entry into force of the Amendment to the Convention on the Physical Protection of Nuclear Material, the establishment of the IAEA LEU Fuel Bank and other multilateral fuel cycle assurance mechanisms, as well as on actions further to the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant accident. Additionally, he participated in various IAEA missions, including, legislative assistance missions, Integrated Nuclear Infrastructure Review missions, Technical Cooperation fact-finding missions and the International Physical Protection Advisory Service missions. Anthony also participated in international initiatives and exercises, including, the Global Initiative to Combat Nuclear Terrorism (GICNT), the UN’s Counter-Terrorism Implementation Task Force (CTITF) and the revision of WHO’s International Health Regulations. Finally, Anthony established the IAEA’s online calculator on the 1997 Convention on Supplementary Compensation for Nuclear Damage (CSC).
At Burges Salmon LLP, a leading UK based law firm (2008-2010), Anthony advised on international, EU and national nuclear legislative, regulatory and commercial issues in the areas of nuclear liability, nuclear safety and security. He also had the opportunity to be briefly seconded into the legal office of the UK’s Nuclear Decommissioning Authority. In addition, he established and chaired an industry task force on nuclear liability under the auspices of the World Nuclear Association (WNA).
LLM Energy Law – Nuclear Route (Distinction); Post-Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice (Commendation); LLB Business Law; and Diploma in International Nuclear Law (1st class).
- Development of the international nuclear legal frameworks.
- Issues concerning national implementation of the international nuclear legal instruments and the establishment of national nuclear legislation.
- The legal framework for SMRs and transportable NPPs.
- The establishment of a global nuclear liability regime.
Publications, including contributions
- Control of Transboundary Movement of Radioactive Material Inadvertently Incorporated into Scrap Metal and Semi-finished Products of the Metal Recycling Industries – Results of the Meetings Conducted to Develop a Draft Code of Conduct, IAEA, 2014.
- Facilitating the entry into force and implementation of the Amendment to the Convention on the Physical Protection of Nuclear Material: Observations, Challenges and Benefits, OECD/NEA Nuclear Law Bulletin, No. 94, 2014.
- International Atomic Energy Agency and the International Legal Framework for Nuclear Safety, International Law Association of Japan in the Japanese Yearbook of International Law, Volume 56, 2013.
- The International Legal Framework on Nuclear Safety: Developments, Challenges and Opportunities, 10th Anniversary of the International School of Nuclear Law, 2010.
- The nuclear revival and nuclear law: next steps, Symposium of the World Nuclear Association, 2008.
- Overview of the International Legal Framework Governing the Safe and Peaceful Uses of Nuclear Energy – Some Practical Steps, International Nuclear Law in the Post Chernobyl Period, Joint IAEA and OECD/NEA Report, No. 6146, 2006.
- Normative Rule Making at the IAEA: Codes of Conduct, OECD/NEA Nuclear Law Bulletin, No. 75, 2005.
- The IAEA Emergency Preparedness and Response System: What Next?: Proceedings, 18th Congress of the International Nuclear Law Association, Brussels, 2007.
- Max Planck Encyclopedia of International Law, IAEA’s contribution, 2007.
- Compendium of International Legal Instruments: 50 Years IAEA – Work for Peace and Security in the Nuclear Age, 2006.
- The Peer Review Process under the Joint Convention […], EurUP, 3/2006.
- International Regime on the Physical Protection of Nuclear Material and the Amendment to the Convention on the Physical Protection of Nuclear Material, OECD/NEA NLB, No. 76, 2005.
- The Review Process under the Joint Convention […], RevistJuridicaSemestral del Consejo de Seguridad Nuclear, N.O/A, Jurio de 2004.
- Handbook on Nuclear Law, STI/PUB/1160, IAEA, 2003.
- Key Nuclear Security Agreement to Enter Into Force on 8 May, IAEA, 8 April 2016.
- Advancing Education About Nuclear Law and Science in Arab Countries, IAEA, 3 November 2015.
- Legal Issues and Their Impact on Nuclear Energy Development, Biennial Congress of International Nuclear Lawyers Held in Buenos Aires, IAEA, 28 October 2014.
- International Nuclear Lawyers Association (INLA) – member of the INLA Prize Committee.
- Law Society of England and Wales.
- Director’s Commendation for Outstanding Performance and Lasting Contribution to the IAEA Office of Legal Affairs.
- Certificate of Achievement and Commendation, Summer Institute, World Nuclear University, WNA.