Dr Hao Duy Phan
Senior Research Fellow
Dr Hao Duy Phan is Senior Research Fellow at the Centre for International Law. He is the author of many books and articles on various issues of international law. Prior to joining the Centre for International Law, he worked as Assistant Director-General of the Department of International Law and Treaties, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Vietnam, and a visiting fellow at the East-West Center in Washington DC and the Institute of Southeast Asian Studies in Singapore. Hao Duy Phan received a BA from the Institute for International Relations of Vietnam, an LLM summa cum laude from the University of Notre Dame Law School, and an SJD from the American University Washington College of Law.
- Public International Law; Law of the Sea; International Dispute Settlement; ASEAN Law & Policy; Law of Treaty; International Human Rights Law; International Organizations
- The Timor-Leste/Australia Conciliation: A Victory for UNCLOS and Peaceful Settlement of Disputes, co-editor with Tara Davenport and Robert Beckman (Singapore: World Scientific, 2019, forthcoming)
- The South China Sea Arbitration: The Legal Dimension, co-editor with S Jayakumar, Tommy Koh, Robert Beckman and Tara Davenport (Cheltenham-Northampton: Edward Elgar, 2018).
- Promoting Compliance: The Role of Dispute Settlement and Monitoring Mechanisms in ASEAN Instruments, co-author with Robert Beckman, Leonardo Bernard, Tan Hsien-Li and Ranyta Yusran (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2016).
- Transboundary Pollution: Evolving Issues of International Law and Policy, co-editor with S Jayakumar, Tommy Koh and Robert Beckman (Cheltenham-Northampton: Edward Elgar, 2015).
- A Selective Approach to Establishing a Human Rights Mechanism in Southeast Asia: The Case for a Southeast Asian Court of Human Rights (Procedural Aspects of International Law Series, Leiden-Boston: Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, 2012).
- The Effects of ASEAN Treaties in Domestic Legal Orders: Evidence from Vietnam, International Journal of Constitutional Law (forthcoming).
- International Courts and State Compliance: An Investigation of the Law of the Sea Cases, Ocean Development and International Law (2019).
- Promotional versus Protective Design: the Case of the ASEAN Intergovernmental Commission on Human Rights, International Journal of Human Rights (2019).
- Interstate Compulsory Conciliation Procedures and the Maritime Boundary Dispute between Timor-Leste and Australia, Journal of International Dispute Settlement (2018), co-author with Anais Kedgley Laidlaw.
- The South China Sea Arbitration: Bindingness, Finality, and Compliance with UNCLOS Dispute Settlement Decisions, 8 Asian Journal of International Law 36 (2018), co-author with Lan Ngoc Nguyen.
- The Association of Southeast Asian Nations: International Legal Personality and its Treaty-making Power, 13 International Organizations Law Review 273 (2016).
- The Asian Way to Settle Disputes, co-author with Tommy Koh, 1 Asian-Pacific Journal of Ocean Law and Policy 5 (2016).
- State Conduct in Disputed Maritime Areas: The Guyana v. Suriname Case, 54 Indian Journal of International Law 487 (2014).
- Institutional Design and Its Constraints: Explaining ASEAN’s Role in the Temple of Preah Vihear Dispute, 5 Asian Journal of International Law 7 (2015).
- Promoting Compliance: An Assessment of ASEAN Instruments since the ASEAN Charter, 41 Syracuse Journal of International Law and Commerce 379 (2014).
- Procedures for Peace: Building Mechanisms for Dispute Settlement and Conflict Management within ASEAN, 20 UC Davis Journal of International Law and Policy 47 (2013).
- Towards a Rules-based ASEAN: the Protocol to the ASEAN Charter on Dispute Settlement Mechanisms, 5 Yearbook on Arbitration and Mediation 254 (2013).
- Institutions for the Protection of Human Rights in Southeast Asia: A Survey Report, 31 Contemporary Southeast Asia 468 (2009).
- Reparations to Victims of Gross Violation of Human Rights: The Case of Cambodia, 4 East Asia Law Review 277 (2009).
- A Blueprint for a Southeast Asian Court of Human Rights, 10 Asian-Pacific Law & Policy Journal 385 (2009).
- The Evolution towards an ASEAN Human Rights Body, 9 Asia-Pacific Journal of Human Rights and the Law 1 (2008).
- A Review of the Legal Framework for Human Rights Protection in Viet Nam, 8 Asia-Pacific Journal of Human Rights and the Law 20 (2007).
- Air Defence Identification Zones: Implications for Freedom of Overflight and Maritime Disputes, co-author with Robert Beckman in Tran Truong Thuy, John B. Welfield and Le Thuy Trang (eds), Building a Normative Order in the South China Sea (Edward Elgar, 2019).
- Balancing the Rights of Coastal States and User States in the Post UNCLOS Age: Vietnam and Navigational Rights, in Gordon Houlden and Nong Hong (eds), Maritime Order and the Law in East Asia (Routlegde, 2018)
- Institutional Building for Maritime Security in Southeast Asia: the Role of ASEAN, in Myron Nordquist, John Norton Moore, Robert C. Beckman and Ronan Long (eds), Freedom of Navigation and Globalization 163 (Leiden-Boston: Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, 2014).
- Vietnam, in Business and Human Rights in ASEAN: A Baseline Study (Jakarta: Human Rights Resource Centre for ASEAN, 2013).
- Australia and Timor-Leste’s Landmark Maritime Boundary Conciliation Process, The Diplomat (26 May 2018).
- Book Review: Politics and Constitutions in Southeast Asia, 39 Contemporary Southeast Asia 210 (2017)
- The Precedent-Setting Timor-Leste and Australia UNCLOS Case, The Diplomat (29 September 2016).
- Why a ruling that cannot be enforced still matters?, The Straits times (16 July 2016).
- South China Sea Ruling on Dispute is No Cause for Gloom, The Straits times (30 January 2016).
- Book Review: ASEAN’s External Agreements: Law, Practice and the Quest for Collective Action, 41 Commonwealth Law Bulletin 651 (2015).
- Resolving the Dispute over Pedra Branca: Lessons Learned for Viet Nam in the East Sea Disputes, 98 International Studies Journal 65 (2014) (in Vietnamese).
- The ASEAN Inter-Governmental Commission on Human Rights and Beyond, 40 Asia-Pacific Bulletin (2009).