Ms Youna Lyons
Senior Research Fellow
Ms Youna Lyons is a bilingual former French litigator with 12+ years of international practice in Asia and Europe. Passionate about the ocean, Youna later studied marine sciences and holds a Masters in Marine Affairs from the University of Washington. She is currently also pursuing a PhD with the Australian National Centre for Ocean Resources and Security at the University of Wollongong titled: ‘Defining and mapping valuable and sensitive marine environments in the South China Sea’.
Youna’s dual expertise in law and marine sciences uniquely position her to integrate these fields for marine policy making purposes and has led her to spearhead and coordinate several multidisciplinary research projects at CIL including: the prospects for re-use of obsolete offshore installations as artificial reefs in Southeast Asia, sensitivity mapping in the context of oil spill preparedness and response and the mapping of shallow features in the South China Sea. Youna is also an observer to several annual meetings of states party to international treaties relating to the protection of the marine environment.
She is bilingual French and English, has worked across Europe, the USA and Asia and, besides her Masters in Marine Affairs, holds an LLM and two Bachelors from La Sorbonne respectively in international public and private law and in procedural law.
- Marine Environmental Law
- Offshore oil and gas in Southeast Asia, especially transboundary pollution from offshore activities, offshore decommissioning and the opportunity for rigs to reefs
- Use of satellite imagery to inform marine environmental management through habitat mapping and maritime boundary disputes on remote features
- Sensitivity mapping for oil spill response and preparedness
- Marine spatial planning and integrated coastal management
- The protection of marine sensitive environments in the seas of Southeast Asia
- Governance and ocean policy in Southeast Asia
- Youna Lyons, ‘Transboundary Pollution from Offshore Activities: A Study of the Montara Oil Spill’, in Transboundary Pollution: Evolving Issues of International Law and Policy, 2015, Edward Elgar
- Youna Lyons, ‘Regulation of Offshore Hydrocarbon Exploration and Exploitation under International Law’, in Handbook in Maritime Regulation and Enforcement, S Kay and R Warner (eds), 2015, Routledge
- Youna Lyons (2014) ‘The New Offshore Oil and Gas Installation Abandonment Wave and the International Rules on Removal and Dumping’, The International Journal of Marine and Coastal Law 29: 480-520
- Youna Lyons (2014) ‘Prospects for Satellite Imagery of Insular Features and Surrounding Marine Habitats in the South China Sea’, Marine Policy 45: 146-155
- Youna Lyons (2013) ‘Marine Biodiversity in Southeast Asia: an international law guide for marine researchers’, Malaysian Journal of Science 32 (SCS Sp Issue): 333-346