ASEAN and the South China Sea
CIL has complied extracts from statements, declarations, communiques and other documents made or issued by ASEAN in relation to the South China Sea from 1992 to 2011. CIL will continue to update this document when necessary. Please click here to download this document. The full versions of these statements, declarations etc can be found on the CIl Documents Database.
Joint Development and the South China Sea
CIL organized a Conference on Joint Development and the South China Sea on 16 and 17 June 2011. More information on the Conference can be found here.
a. Conference Report of the CIL Conference on Joint Development and the South China Sea
b. PowerPoint Presentations at the CIL Conference on Joint Development and the South China Sea
The PowerPoint Presentations made at the Conference are available here.
c. Joint Development Agreements in Asia
The full text (word and PDF) of the joint development agreements can be found below:
Joint development in Southeast Asia:
- 1979 Memorandum of Understanding between Malaysia and Thailand on the Establishment of a Joint Authority for the Exploitation of the Resources of the Sea Bed in a Defined Area of the Continental Shelf of the Two Countries in the Gulf of Thailand
- 1990 Agreement between the Government of Malaysia and the Government of the Kingdom of Thailand on the Constitution and Other Matters Relating to the Establishment of the Malaysia-Thailand Joint Authority
- 1992 Memorandum of Understanding between Malaysia and the Socialist Republic of Vietnam for the Exploration and Exploitation of Petroleum in a Defined Area of the Continental Shelf Involving the Two Countries
Joint development in the Gulf of Tonkin and North East Asia:
- 1974 Agreement between Japan and the Republic of Korea Concerning Joint Development of the Southern Part of the Continental Shelf Adjacent to the Two Countries
- 2000 Agreement between the People’s Republic of China and the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam on the Delimitation of the Territorial Seas, Exclusive Economic Zones and Continental Shelves of the Two Countries in Beibu Gulf/Bac Bo Gulf
- 2008 China-Japan Principled Consensus on the East China Sea issue
Joint development in the Timor Sea:
- 1989 Treaty between Australia and the Republic of Indonesia on the Zone of Cooperation in an Area between the Indonesian Province of East Timor and Northern Australia
- 2002 Timor Sea Treaty between the Government of East Timor and the Government of Australia
- 2003 Agreement between the Government of Australia and the Government of the Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste Relating to the Unitisation of the Sunrise and Troubadour Fields
- 2006 Treaty between Australia and the Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste on Certain Maritime Arrangements in the Timor Sea
Multidisciplinary Satellite Survey of the Shallow Geographic Features in the SCS
CIL is leading a satellite survey of shallow physical features in the South China Sea to provide a base layer for further research on marine ecosystems and biodiversity. This multidisciplinary project involves two other research centres from NUS: the Centre for Remote Imaging, Sensing and Processing (CRISP) and the Physical Oceanography Lab of the Tropical Marine Science Institute (TMSI). The Project began on 15 October 2014 and is expected to be completed by the end of April 2016, following which the results will be made publicly available.