CIL Document Database User Guide
The CIL Document Database was established in 2009 as a free public resource to provide reliable and value-added information for researchers and policy makers on ASEAN law and policy instruments and the Southeast Asian implementation of key international law instruments. The database comprises over 900 ASEAN and 300 international law documents in areas relevant to CIL’s research. The collection is selected and cross-referenced by a dedicated CIL research team.
The database can be accessed directly from the CIL homepage cil.nus.edu.sg, or from the “Database” tab of the top menu bar.
Our collection is continually being expanded and updated. If you have any questions, suggestions of new documents for inclusion, or spot any information that needs rectification, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Database entries – Summary information
Each database entry includes a downloadable full text document with a content page. You will also find summary information about the instrument including instrument status, citations, dispute settlement and entry into force provisions, and a list of related instruments. For binding instruments, the ratification status tracking allows you to view implementation in ASEAN countries at a glance, whether it is an ASEAN instrument or an international law instrument.
Database entries may be searched by keyword, with filters for date and category. The keyword search default searches by title, but you have the option of applying the keyword search to the summary information of the database entries.
A full-text keyword search of our database documents is also available. Please be aware however that you will be directed to a google search and the additional search filters are not available.
Treaty Status filter
The Treaty status filter of the CIL database provides the unique function of searching our collection by ratification status and by country.
The document collections are classified into categories and sub-categories. The ASEAN collection includes both binding instruments as well as selected soft law instruments such as work plans and declarations that we have identified as providing useful information on ASEAN members’ commitments and intentions. The International Law collection is focused on areas of interest to CIL’s research teams.
The database collection is organised according to the following categories (click to expand):
- International Law and Policy
- General International Law
- Human Rights
- International Dispute Resolution
- Nuclear Liability
- Nuclear Safety
- Nuclear Security
- Radiation Protection
- Safeguards and Non-Proliferation
- Technical Cooperation, Science and Technology
- Oceans/Law of the Sea
- International Maritime Organization
- Joint Development
- Maritime Boundaries
- Marine Environment
- Penal Matters
- Polar Regions
- ASEAN Law and Policy
- ASEAN Constituent Documents. Milestone official documents for ASEAN’s establishment. The development of key principles of ASEAN cooperation, vision for the ASEAN Community and major plans of action for the whole of ASEAN.
- ASEAN Summit Documents. Documents signed, adopted or endorsed by the supreme body of ASEAN— the ‘ASEAN leaders’ or heads of state or government, including documents done by the Leaders with external partners. This category does not include documents signed at the ministerial level.
- ASEAN Economic Community. Selected official documents of the ASEAN Economic Community and respective sectoral meetings.
- ASEAN Economic Community/ASEAN Economic Ministers
- ASEAN Economic Community/Customs
- ASEAN Economic Community/ASEAN Free Trade Area
- ASEAN Economic Community/Energy
- ASEAN Economic Community/Finance
- ASEAN Economic Community/Food, Agriculture and Forestry
- ASEAN Economic Community/Industry
- ASEAN Economic Community/Investment
- ASEAN Economic Community/Initiative for ASEAN Integration
- ASEAN Economic Community/Minerals
- ASEAN Economic Community/Services
- ASEAN Economic Community/Science and Technology
- ASEAN Economic Community/Telecommunications and IT
- ASEAN Economic Community/Tourism
- ASEAN Economic Community/Transport
- ASEAN Political-Security Community. Selected official documents of the ASEAN Political-Security Community.
- ASEAN Political-Security Community/ASEAN Foreign Ministers (formerly known as the ASEAN Ministerial Meeting)
- ASEAN Political-Security Community/Defence
- ASEAN Political-Security Community/Law
- ASEAN Political-Security Community/Transnational Crime
- ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community. Selected official documents of the ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community:
- ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community/Culture and Arts
- ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community/Disaster Management
- ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community/Drugs
- ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community/Education
- ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community/Environment
- ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community/Haze
- ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community/Health
- ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community/Information
- ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community/Labour
- ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community/Rural Development and Poverty Eradication
- ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community/Social Welfare and Development
- ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community/Sports
- ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community/Women
- ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community/Youth
- ASEAN External Relations. Selected official documents relating to ASEAN’s relationships with dialogue partners, regional forums and other external relations.
- ASEAN External Relations/Australia
- ASEAN External Relations/Canada
- ASEAN External Relations/China
- ASEAN External Relations/European Union
- ASEAN External Relations/India
- ASEAN External Relations/Japan
- ASEAN External Relations/Republic of Korea
- ASEAN External Relations/New Zealand
- ASEAN External Relations/Russia
- ASEAN External Relations/United Nations
- ASEAN External Relations/USA
- ASEAN External Relations/ASEAN Regional Forum
- ASEAN External Relations/ASEAN+3 (APT)
- ASEAN External Relations/East Asia Summit
- ASEAN External Relations/International Organisations
- ASEAN Procedure. Official documents on procedural matters including immunities and privileges, dispute settlement, as well as terms of reference, rules of procedure and regulations.
- ASEAN Procedure/Dispute Settlement
- ASEAN Procedure/Immunities and Privileges
- ASEAN Accession. Official documents on accession of new members to ASEAN as well as accession of ASEAN members and dialogue partners to existing agreements.
- ASEAN Secretariat. Official documents relating to the establishment and administration of the ASEAN Secretariat.
- ASEAN Human Rights. Documents related to human rights in ASEAN, including the ASEAN Intergovernmental Commission on Human Rights and other mechanisms.
- ASEAN Other. Documents related to other ASEAN institutions and cooperation, such as the ASEAN Foundation and the ASEAN Development Fund.