The CIL Documents Database is a free, user-friendly, internet resource of selected ASEAN and International Law Documents. Over 490 selected ASEAN documents and 290 International Law documents are now included in the database. The CIL ASEAN Legal Documents Database is not a replacement for the comprehensive selection of ASEAN documents maintained by the ASEAN Secretariat for every area of ASEAN cooperation at http://www.asean.org. The CIL Documents Database also includes over 130 selected Southeast Asian Investment documents, including Southeast Asian Investment Treaties and Southeast Asian Arbitration cases.
Disclaimer: The official texts of ASEAN Documents are maintained by the ASEAN Secretariat, whose website is currently in transition. Please visit their website http://www.asean.org if you wish to access the official versions or if you experience difficulties accessing the links provided in this database.
The search engine is located in the box on the right side of your screen on this page and on the CIL home page. It enables users to search for documents by category, years, and/or by keywords.
- To find international law documents on human rights, choose “IL – Human Rights” from the sub-category drop-down menu.
- To find ASEAN constituent documents, select “ASEAN Constituent Documents” in the list of sub-categories under ASEAN Documents.
- To locate ASEAN documents on political/security matters adopted after 1 January 2005, select “ASEAN Documents” under category, “ASEAN Political-Security Community” under sub-category, and “2005” under “From” in the year drop-down menu.
Alternatively, you can search for documents using only the keyword function.
- To search for ASEAN documents relating to the South China Sea, select “ASEAN Documents” from the category menu and enter “South China Sea” in the keyword field.
- To search for ASEAN documents on the environment, select “ASEAN Documents” from the category menu and enter “environment” in the keyword field.
- To search the 1969 Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties and related documents, enter “Law of Treaties” in the keyword field and check “exact phrase” box below the keyword search field.
Search results are displayed as a list of the full titles of the documents arranged in reverse chronological order. When you click on a document title in the search results, a Summary Template for that document will open. The Summary Template contains basic information about that Document and a link to the text of the document on an external website.
The Summary Templates for the most important documents also contain links to CIL-formatted versions of the full text in both Word and PDF. The CIL text of the document also contains a Table of Contents. If you Ctrl+Click on any item in the Table of Contents, it will take you directly to the text of that article in the document.
Classification of ASEAN Documents:
In classifying the ASEAN documents under major subject headings or categories, CIL has attempted to be consistent with the classification system of ASEAN’s activities under the ASEAN Charter.
ASEAN documents in the database are classified into the following subject headings:
- ASEAN Constituent Documents. Milestone official documents for ASEAN’s establishment. The development of key principles of ASEAN cooperation, vision for the ASEAN Community and major plans of action for the whole of ASEAN.
- ASEAN Summit Documents. Documents signed, adopted or endorsed by the supreme body of ASEAN – the “ASEAN leaders” or heads of state or government, including documents done by the Leaders with external partners. This category does not include documents signed at the ministerial level.
- ASEAN Economic Community. Key official documents of the ASEAN Economic Community, classified as follows:
- ASEAN Economic Community/ASEAN Economic Ministers
- ASEAN Economic Community/Energy
- ASEAN Economic Community/Finance
- ASEAN Economic Community/Food, Agriculture and Forestry
- ASEAN Economic Community/Investment
- ASEAN Economic Community/Initiative for ASEAN Integration
- ASEAN Economic Community/Mekong Basin Development Cooperation
- ASEAN Economic Community/Minerals
- ASEAN Economic Community/Science and Technology
- ASEAN Economic Community/Telecommunications and IT
- ASEAN Economic Community/Tourism
- ASEAN Economic Community/Transport
- ASEAN Political-Security Community. Key official documents of the ASEAN Political-Security Community, classified as follows:
- ASEAN Political-Security Community/ASEAN Foreign Ministers (formerly known as the ASEAN Ministerial Meeting)
- ASEAN Political-Security Community/Defence
- ASEAN Political-Security Community/Law
- ASEAN Political-Security Community/Transnational Crime
- ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community. Key official documents of the ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community, classified as follows:
- ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community/Culture and Arts
- ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community/Disaster Management
- ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community/Drugs
- ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community/Education
- ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community/Environment
- ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community/Haze
- ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community/Health
- ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community/Information
- ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community/Labour
- ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community/Rural Development
- ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community/Social Welfare and Development
- ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community/Youth
- ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community/Women
- ASEAN External Relations.Key official documents relating to ASEAN’s relationships with dialogue partners, regional forums and other external relations.
- ASEAN External Relations/Australia
- ASEAN External Relations/Canada
- ASEAN External Relations/China
- ASEAN External Relations/European Union
- ASEAN External Relations/India
- ASEAN External Relations/Japan
- ASEAN External Relations/Korea (ROK)
- ASEAN External Relations/New Zealand
- ASEAN External Relations/Russia
- ASEAN External Relations/United Nations
- ASEAN External Relations/USA
- ASEAN External Relations/ASEAN Regional Forum
- ASEAN External Relations/ASEAN+3 (APT)
- ASEAN External Relations/East Asia Summit
- ASEAN Procedure. Official documents on procedural matters, such as accession protocols, immunities and privileges and dispute settlement.
- ASEAN Secretariat. Official documents relating to the establishment and administration of the ASEAN Secretariat.
- ASEAN Other. Documents related to other ASEAN institutions and cooperation, such as the ASEAN Foundation and the ASEAN Development Fund.
Background information on ASEAN
For background Information prepared by CIL on ASEAN and ASEAN Documents, please click on the following:
- Introduction to ASEAN
- Selected ASEAN Acronyms
- Introduction to Dispute Settlement in ASEAN
- Introduction to Human Rights in ASEAN
Your Suggestions and Comments
If you believe there are other important documents which should be included in our Documents Database, please advise us. When recommending a particular document, send us as much information as possible, including the name of the document, the date and place of adoption, who it was adopted by, and the URL of the document. If you have comments or suggestions on how we might further classify a particular document under a subject heading that we make it easier to find, please send us your recommendation.
If you have other comments or suggestions for our Documents Database, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.