2020 Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement
|Short Title / Abbreviations||
|CIL Subject Classification|
|Date of Adoption||15/11/2020|
|Place of Adoption||4th Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) Summit via Video Conference|
|Issued/Adopted by||Economic and Trade Ministers of ASEAN, Australia, People's Republic of China, Japan, Republic of Korea and New Zealand|
|Dispute settlement provisions||
See Chapter 19 – Dispute Settlement.
However, see Article 12.17: Settlement of Disputes, for matters involving Electronic Commerce:
See also Article 13.9: Non-Application of Dispute Settlement, for matters involving Competition:
“No Party shall have recourse to dispute settlement under Chapter 19 (Dispute Settlement) for any matter arising under this Chapter.”
See also Article 17 for other exemptions to Article 19:
Article 17.9: Measures against Corruption: “2. No Party shall have recourse to dispute settlement under Chapter 19 (Dispute Settlement) for any matter arising under this Article.”
Article 17.11: Screening Regime and Dispute Settlement: “A decision by a competent authority, including a foreign investment authority, of a Party on whether or not to approve or admit a foreign investment proposal, and the enforcement of any conditions or requirements that an approval or admission is subject to, shall not be subject to the dispute settlement provisions under Chapter 19 (Dispute Settlement).”
Secretary-General of ASEAN
Annex 3A (Product-Specific Rules)
Annex 3B (Minimum Information Requirements)
Annex 4A (Period of Time to Implement the Commitments)
Annex 7A (Practices Relating to Anti-Dumping and Countervailing Duty Proceedings)
Annex 8A (Financial Services)
Annex 8B (Telecommunications Services)
Annex 8C (Professional Services)
Annex 10A (Customary International Law)
Annex 10B (Expropriation)
Annex 11A (Party-Specific Transition Periods)
Annex 11B (List of Technical Assistance Requests)
Annex 13A (Application of Article 13.3 (Appropriate Measures against Anti-Competitive Activities) and Article 13.4 (Cooperation) to Brunei Darussalam)
Annex 13B (Application of Article 13.3 (Appropriate Measures against Anti-Competitive Activities) and Article 13.4 (Cooperation) to Cambodia)
Annex 13C (Application of Article 13.3 (Appropriate Measures against Anti-Competitive Activities) and Article 13.4 (Cooperation) to Lao PDR)
Annex 13D (Application of Article 13.3 (Appropriate Measures against Anti-Competitive Activities) and Article 13.4 (Cooperation) to Myanmar)
Annex 16A (Paper or Electronic Means Utilised by Parties for the Publication of Transparency Information)
Annex 18A (Functions of the Subsidiary Bodies of the RCEP Joint Committee)
Annex I – Schedules of Tariff Commitments
Annex II – Schedules of Specific Commitments for Services
Annex III – Schedules of Reservations and Non-Conforming Measures for Services and Investment
Annex IV – Schedules of Specific Commitments on Temporary Movement of Natural Persons
|Entry Into Force Status||In Force|
|Date of Entry into Force||
|Entry into Force / Termination Provisions||
Article 20.6: Entry into Force
1. This Agreement shall be subject to ratification, acceptance, or approval by each signatory State in accordance with its applicable legal procedures. The instrument of ratification, acceptance, or approval of a signatory State shall be deposited with the Depositary.
2. This Agreement shall enter into force for those signatory States that have deposited their instrument of ratification, acceptance, or approval, 60 days after the date on which at least six signatory States which are Member States of ASEAN and three signatory States other than Member States of ASEAN have deposited their instrument of ratification, acceptance, or approval with the Depositary.
3. After the date of entry into force of this Agreement, this Agreement shall enter into force for any other signatory State 60 days after the date on which it has deposited its instrument of ratification, acceptance, or approval with the Depositary.
Article 20.8: General Review
1. The Parties shall undertake a general review of this Agreement with a view to updating and enhancing this Agreement to ensure that this Agreement remains relevant to the trade and investment issues and challenges confronting the Parties, five years after the date of entry into force of this Agreement, and every five years thereafter, unless the Parties agree otherwise.
2. In conducting a review pursuant to this Article, the Parties shall:
(a) consider ways to further enhance trade and investment among the Parties; and
(b) take into account:
(i) the work of all committees and subsidiary bodies established pursuant to Chapter 18 (Institutional Provisions); and
(ii) relevant developments in international fora.
Note: There is no single source for the status of RCEP in each ASEAN state (such as the ASEAN or RCEP Secretariats).
Links to status from member states’ official ministries:
Australia Signature (15/11/2020)
People's Republic of China Signature (15/11/2020) Ratification (15/04/2021)
Japan Signature (15/11/2020) Ratification (25/6/2021)
Republic of Korea Signature (15/11/2020) Ratification (03/12/2021)
New Zealand Signature (15/11/2020) Ratification (02/11/2021)
1994 Marrakesh Agreement Establishing the World Trade Organisation
Please note that official data on individual countries’ RCEP ratification status was unavailable at the time of update. Ratification dates provided in this entry have been obtained from press releases and media reports. See “ASEAN States Source” above.